Von Welch is a former associate vice president for Information Security and executive director for Cybersecurity Innovation at Indiana University, executive director for the OmniSOC, and the director of IU's Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research (CACR).
During his time at Indiana University, he specialized in cybersecurity for distributed systems, particularly scientific collaborations and federated identity. His roles included serving as PI and director for the NSF Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (Trusted CI), a project dedicated to helping NSF science projects with their cybersecurity needs. He was also PI and director of the Research Security Operations Center (ResearchSOC), a collaborative security response center that addresses the unique cybersecurity concerns of the research community.
Von is a frequent public speaker, and he has authored nearly 50 publications and multiple internet standards.
Previously he has worked with a range of high-visibility projects to provide cybersecurity to the broader scientific and engineering community, including TeraGrid, Open Science Grid, Ocean Observatory Infrastructure, the Software Assurance Marketplace (SWAMP), and GENI. His work in software and standards includes authoring two IETF RFCS and the development of several security systems for distributed computing including CILogon and MyProxy.
- Indiana University to help secure Indiana’s 2020 elections
- Von Welch appointed executive director for cybersecurity innovation at Indiana University
- Cybersecurity Center of Excellence receives $12.5M renewal grant from NSF
- CACR's Welch to present at the 2015 Internet2 Global Summit
- IU project receives
grantto host NSF Cybersecurity Summits in 2014, 2015
- Von Welch named
newleader of IU's Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research
- Mats Rynge, Karan Vahi, Ewa Deelman, Anirban Mandal, Ilya Baldin, Omkar Bhide, Randy Heiland, Von Welch, Raquel Hill, William L. Poehlman and F. Alex Feltus. Integrity Protection for Scientific Workflow Data: Motivation and Initial Experiences. PEARC'19: Practice and Experience in Advanced Research Computing, 2019.
- Andrew Adams, Kay Avila, Jim Basney, Dana Brunson, Robert Cowles, Jeannette Dopheide, Terry Fleury, Elisa Heymann, Florence Hudson, Craig Jackson, Ryan Kiser, Mark Krenz, Jim Marsteller, Barton P. Miller, Sean Piesert, Scott Russell, Susan Sons, Von Welch and John Zage. Trusted CI Experiences in Cybersecurity and Service to Open Science. PEARC'19: Practice and Experience in Advanced Research Computing, 2019.
- Dylan Chapp, Danny Rorabaugh, Duncan A. Brown, Ewa Deelman, Karan Vahi, Von Welch and Michela Taufer. Applicability Study of the PRIMAD Model to LIGO Gravitational Wave Search Workflows. Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Practical Reproducible Evaluation of Computer Systems (P-RECS'19), 2019.
- Ewa Deelman, Victoria Stodden, Michela Taufer and Von Welch. Initial Thoughts on Cybersecurity And Reproducibility. Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Practical Reproducible Evaluation of Computer Systems (P-RECS'19), 2019.
- Robert Cowles, Craig Jackson and Von Welch. Facilitating Scientific Collaborations by Delegating Identity Management: Reducing Barriers & Roadmap for Incremental Implementation. Second Workshop on the Changing Landscape in HPC Security (to appear), 2015.
- Randy Heiland, Von Welch, Suresh Maru, Marlon Pierce and Scott Koranda. Authentication and Authorization Considerations for a Multi-tenant Service. SCREAM'15, 2015.
- Miron Livny, Barton P. Miller and Von Welch. The Case for an Open and Evolving Software Assurance Framework. http://www.vonwelch.com/pubs/SERP2014 2014.
- Robert Cowles, Craig Jackson, Von Welch and Shreyas Cholia. A Model for Identity Management in Future Scientific Collaboratories. International Symposium on Grids and Clouds (ISGC) 2014, 2014.
- Von Welch, Mine Altunay, Jim Basney, Alain Deximo, Soichi Hayashi, Viplav D. Khadke, Rohan Mathure, Robert Quick, Chander S. Sehgal and Anthony Tiradani. OSG PKI Transition: Experiences and Lessons Learned. International Symposium on Grids and Clouds (ISGC) 2014, 2014.
- Robert Cowles, Craig Jackson and Von Welch. Identity management factors for HEP virtual organizations. 20th International Conference on Computing in High Energy and Nuclear Physics (CHEP2013), 2013.
- Jim Basney and Von Welch. Science gateway security recommendations. 2013 IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, CLUSTER 2013, 2013.
- Robert Cowles, Craig Jackson and Von Welch. Identity Management for Virtual Organizations: A Survey of Implementations and Model. 9th IEEE International Conference on eScience, 2013.
- Daniel S. Katz, David Hart, Chris Jordan, Amit Majumdar, J.P. Navarro, Warren Smith, John Towns and Von Welch. Cyberinfrastructure Usage Modalities on the TeraGrid. Proceedings of 2011 IPDPS Workshops, 2011.
- Barnett, William K.; Stewart, Craig A.; Almes, Gut T.; and Lingwall, Malinda (eds.). NSF Advisory Committee for Cyberinfrastructure Task Force on Campus Bridging -- Final Report. 2011
- Welch, Von; Mcgee, John; and Almes, Guy (eds). Campus Bridging Software and Software Service Issues Workshop Report. 2011
- Barnett, William K.; Welch, Von; Walsh, Alan; and Stewart, Craig A. A Roadmap for Using NSF Cyberinfrastructure with InCommon. 2011
- Welch, Von; Basney, Jim; and Fleury, Terry. Federated Login to TeraGrid. 9th Symposium on Identity and Trust on the Internet. 2010
- Welch, Von; Basney, Jim; and Wilkins-Diehr, Nancy. TeraGrid Science Gateway AAAA Model: Implementation and Lessons Learned. TeraGrid Conference. 2010
- Welch Von; Foster, Ian; Kesselman, Carl; Mulmo, Olle; Pearlman, Laura; Tuecke, Steven; Gawor, Jarek; Meder, Sam; and Siebenlist, Frank. X.509 Proxy Certificates for Dynamic Delegation, Proceedings of the 3rd Annual PKI R&D Workshop, 2004
- Welch, Von; Beckles, Bruce; and Basney, James. Mechanisms for Increasing the Usability of Grid Security, International Journal of
Human ComputerStudies, Special Issue on HCI Research in Privacy and Security, 2005
- Welch, Von; Basney, Jim; Flanigan, Patrick; Heo, Jin; Khurana; Mugglie, Joe; Pant, Meenal; and Slagell, Adam. Mithril: Adaptable Security for Survivability in Collaborative Computing Sites, Workshop on Enterprise Network Security (WENS) at Securecomm 2006, 2006